The Myanmar Library Association is Myanmar’s professional body in library and information services. It was founded in 1990 and granted its registration in 1992. The Association works on behalf of its members and library users to protect and maintain the standard of library provision in all areas and sectors. It seeks to ensure that libraries are managed by those trained to do so, that is, by professionally qualified librarians.
It’s is a non-governmental organization and it is the source of information and unrestricted access to the country’s treasure house of culture.
Objectives and Programmes:
The objectives of the Association are,
1. To participate in one way ofr the other in carrying out the development of Myanmar Nainggan from all aspects with the combined effort of professional library staff and libraians.
2. To help upgrade the standard, level and knowledge of librarians and library staff.
3. To assist in the development of libraries, reading rooms, reader’s associations in Myanmar.
4. To help preserve and maintain Myanmar’s literature and cultural heritage.
5. To have contact with the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) and other library associations and libraries aboard so as to materialize the above objectives.
To achieve the aims mentioned above, the Association is now taking part in,
Conducting seminars and colloquiums concerning library information whenever possible. The Association sponsors to help organize lectures not only for members but also for visiting librarians from aboard who are interested and want to participate in its activities.
Conducting short training courses for library information to unqualified library staff from various departmental libraries, and also to high school teachers who are incharge of school libraries or who want to set up libraries.
Publishing newsletters, magazines and books on library information and other materials for public interest.
Collection books and magazines and distributing them to respective libraries.
Cataloguing and preserving palm-leaf manuscripts and paper parabikes from various monasteries from deteriorating
Having contact with library association from other countries in order to have mutual understanding and exchange knowledge.
The Myanmar Library association now have about (300) members, out of which (37) are life members and it seeks to upgrade the standard of libraries, professional competence of librarians, and bring together library professionals.
The first Conference of the Myanmar Library Association was held on 27 June 1998 and elected a 21 members Executive Committee.
The MLA office started at the Universities Central Library. Later a room was provided by the Institute of Education, next to their Library. Eventually, plan to house the MLA in the National Library of Myanmar building.
Contact: (951) 662470, 660387